Monday, October 15, 2007

You Can Live Where the Sulzbergers Lived, for a Small Price

I heard today from a friend that Gilbert Haroche, who owns Liberty Travel, is selling his estate, on the Stamford-Pound Ridge border, for $95 million. That's not a typo. Ninety-five millions dollars.

The property used to be the home of the Sulzbergers, the New York Times family, and is called Hillandale, I believe (I once bought a used book somewhere and in it was Iphigene Ochs Sulzberger's calling card; it's probably still in the book but I can't remember which book it was). The Pound Ridge section alone is 159 acres. There's a $28 million house on the Stamford side.

I'm in the open space preservation business and I pay attention professionally to the price of land. I've never heard of a place around here going for $95 million.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your right, that's a very big number. In the 1980's the 490 acre Pforsheimer property in Purchase sold for $40 million with no improvements. It is now "Purchase Estates" complete with Nicklaus designe3d golf course.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker