Thursday, June 29, 2006

Leave a Comment But Identify Yourself

This blog doesn’t get a lot of comments but lately there have been some really dumb ones, left anonymously. I don’t mind if people say dumb things. I do it myself often enough. But at least when I write something, people know I wrote it.

So I’m going to allow anonymous comments only under unusual circumstances – for example, if you have something material to add to a post that you might not be able to say publicly because you work for government or an environmental group. But if you just want to mouth off, you’ll have to identify yourself. Of course I reserve the right to make the decision I think best for any particular comment.

If you want to appeal decisions made based on this policy, send me an e-mail and state your case.

5 Comments:

Blogger John B. said...

Blogger's comment system leaves a bit to be desired. They basically only give two options - Blogger username or anonymous. I think that discourages useful discussion because logging in sets an obstacle for people without Blogger accounts, and the anonymous allows people to say whatever they want with no accountability. This is something that could really be improved to be more like the Typepad or Word Press systems.

Not to mention that their word verification times out constantly.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

A few months ago I had some very vicious comments on my blog, just terribly insulting. I wondered why anyone would waste their time with my innocent little blog - but then I realized they are just cowards and now I use the comment moderation setting.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember a marine biology class that i took when i was in high school, Centereach high to be exact. I remember seeing a sea turtle on a class trip. My now grown son who is now attending college was arguing with me telling me it was impossible to have seen a sea turtle off long island. I thank you for your very informative page. Now I know im not nuts.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your might like this. It tracked a lot of hits as did a similar post at Ruhlman.com

http://wolfwurst.blogspot.com/2007/03/simple-tomato-sauce.html

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The site looks great ! Thanks for all your help

http://www.eng2all.com/

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker