Thursday, November 03, 2005

Connecticut's Sewage Spill "Investigation" -- Six Months and Counting

Six months after Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said the state was investigating a 12-million-gallon sewage spill in East Haven, I seriously doubt that any investigation ever took place. My guess is that nobody at the Connecticut DEP thought it was a big enough deal to worry about. If any state employees know better and would like to let me know (or confirm my guess), I’d be happy to take an anonymous e-mail.

In the meantime, here’s the text of an e-mail I sent the other day to Chris Hoffman, Blumenthal’s spokesman:


It has been six months now since 12 million gallons of raw sewage spilled from East Haven into a tributary of Long Island Sound. The Attorney General said at the time that this was a very serious matter and that the state was investigating. In fact here is the text of his statement, which you sent to me and presumably drafted:

"The sewage spill in the Morris Cove neighborhood of New Haven on April 30 is a very serious and urgent concern. I understand that DEP is continuing its active investigation. This factual investigation should provide a full understanding of the cause, nature and extent of the spill. We then will determine, in cooperation with DEP, what legal action under the water pollution laws may be appropriate. I am strongly committed to the protection of Long Island Sound from all encroachments and damage, whether from sewage or unnecessary and inappropriate utility projects. Long Island Sound is a precious and irreplaceable resource, and I will continue to fight to protect it."

Given that is has been six months, I am wondering:

1. if the investigation is continuing;

2. if the investigation has been completed and the results have been released but I missed them;

3. if the investigation has been completed and the results have not been released;

4. if there ever was an investigation.

Any insight into this that you can provide I will be happy to pass on to my readers. Thank you.


Tom Andersen
http://www.thissphere.blogspot.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,

Thanks for continuing to pursue this spill.

Here's how NYS is handling blackout-related sewage spills from two NYC STPs:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/ohms
/decis/nycdepnorthriverr.html

(You have to paste the link back together to get it to work.)

You'll see that the wheels o' justice are turning slowly here, but progress is being made. In fact, you have NYSDEC and the US Attorney's office pursuing the case.

Maybe the US Attorney for CT can be persuaded to take a look it at, if he is not pursuing it already.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker