Thursday, September 01, 2011

Bad News from My Old Town of Keene, New York, in the Adirondacks

In the summers of 1980 and '81 I rented a cottage on 55 acres in Keene, New York, in the Adirondacks, owned by Enid and Isaiah Rubin, a terrific couple from Manhattan who were in residence every August. It was a stunning location, rustic without roughing it in the least, and pretty much every day I strolled down the hill to a fast, icy-cold stream called Gulf Brook, just to see what was going on.

Among the people I met that summer were the Rubins' daughters, Hanna and Alissa, who were maybe a few years young than me but of my generation.

In today's Times I saw this sad story, written by Alissa, who works for the Times in its Kabul bureau. She must have been spending part of August in Keene as usual and was there to record the devastation caused by Hurricane Irene.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bob Funicello said...

In my youth, even before you were in Keene, I spent a lot of time in Keene Valley, going into and coming out of the High Peaks via the Johns Brook Trail, and up Rte 73 at the ADK Lodge. I also saw Ms. Rubin's piece and was saddened to learn of the massive damage, but of course did not know of the connection. I also read here http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/526290/Marcy-Dam-bridge-washed-away.html?nav=5046#.Tlu1TOIEQYk.facebook
that the bridge over Marcy Dam was washed away but the dam held.
It was a very wet year in the North Country and Irene was the 'final straw'.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker