Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Direct from Norwalk: Lovejoy's White Rock and Grassy Hammock Oysters

Terry Backer read my earlier post about oysters, in which I referred to an old sign I had seen at his headquarters. I remember making note of what the sign said, but that notebook is long gone. But Terry remembered and sent me this, in an email:

That was a sign from the the Fredrick Lovejoy Oyster company. It advertised White Rock and Grassy Hammock oysters both place names in the harbor. I own one of those pieces of oyster ground now. The sign was from the 20s and 30s. It was and is common practice to name certain oysters after where they are grown. The location can contribute to the flavor of the oyster considerably thus by branding them with their place name can help people Id what they have had before.

Thanks, Terry!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker