Monday, August 21, 2006

A Manatee (Maybe THE Manatee) Is In Narragansett Bay

A manatee – maybe the same one that was in the Hudson River earlier this month, maybe not – was spotted in Narragansett Bay, near Warwick, Rhode Island, which is almost as far north as Providence. Links to my previous manatee posts are on the right.

In the meantime, Ken Emerson, whose record reviews I used to read in Rolling Stone back when I was a callow youth, wrote an op-ed piece in the regional sections of yesterday’s Times arguing that the manatee’s appearance in the Hudson is yet another indication of global warming.

I’m dubious. One manatee visited the area a decade ago; another is here this year (maybe two). To me, those are mistakes, the equivalent of visits by a rare bird, rather than a trend. Here’s the piece.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

If anything, the Atlantic is slightly cooler than in previous years - do you all get the same story line? To have a lone maverick manatee show up in the Northeast and say that it's global warming is ... gosh, I'll stop before I cast aspersions ... with a hearty laugh.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker